Are there alternative treatments for necrotizing periodontitis?

Generally antibiotics and pain relievers are used to treat necrotizing periodontitis, rather than alternative treatments. However, there are some non-drug remedies that are regularly used along with antibiotics to help battle this serious infection of the gums. Rinsing the mouth with a hydrogen peroxide and water mix, or with salt water, aids in cleaning the teeth and gums. When the gums are no longer painful, regular brushing and flossing will help keep the infection from reoccurring.

There are no recognized alternative treatments for necrotizing periodontitis. There are 2 forms of necrotizing periodontal diseases that the American Academy of Periodontology recognizes. These include necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis (NUG) and necrotizing ulcerative periodontitis (NUP). NUG only affects and destroys gum tissue. NUP on the other hand, affects both the gums tissue and bone structure that supports the teeth. The treatment for both types typically involves:

• counseling on the proper way to brush and floss teeth
  • antibiotics
  • using of a mouth rinse that has chlorhexidine in it
  • scaling and root planing also known as deep teeth and gum cleaning

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How should I care for someone with periodontitis?
If a child or anyone else in your care has periodontitis, or gum disease, make sure he or she: s...
How do I manage my periodontitis on a daily basis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile