What lifestyle changes should I make if I have necrotizing periodontitis?

Tobacco use is a leading risk factor for necrotizing periodontitis, and individuals with this severe gum infection should stop using all tobacco products, getting help if necessary. Avoid all carbonated and alcoholic beverages and stay well hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Get into the habit of brushing teeth after each meal and flossing daily. See the dentist regularly for cleanings and exams.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Is there a cure for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The only type of periodontal disease that can be cured is gingivitis, which can be reversed with tre...
How should I care for someone with periodontitis?
If a child or anyone else in your care has periodontitis, or gum disease, make sure he or she: s...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile