Does aggressive periodontitis affect children differently than adults?

Aggressive periodontitis is often called early onset periodontitis because of the early age at which it develops. Whereas adult periodontitis usually occurs in older adults, aggressive periodontitis occurs in children, adolescents, and young adults. Although oral hygiene and lifestyle choices are factors in all types of periodontitis, immune deficiencies and genetics are likely factors in the development of aggressive periodontitis.

When the condition develops in very young children, it may affect primary teeth. In these cases, the condition may resolve before the permanent teeth emerge.

Juvenile periodontitis, which develops in otherwise healthy adolescents, may exhibit mild or no symptoms, thereby making x-ray a primary tool for diagnosis. Bone loss occurs more rapidly in juvenile periodontitis than in adult periodontitis and is often localized to first molars and incisors.

Because of the severity and rapidity at which bone loss occurs, young adults with rapidly progressive periodontitis may experience tooth loss within a year of onset.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Read More
Does gum disease lead to bone loss?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
More Answers
Does chronic periodontitis cause heart disease?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Many studies have looked at the link between periodontitis and heart disease. While there is not eno...
More Answers
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.