When should I call my doctor if I have gum disease?

If you suspect you have gum disease, schedule a dental appointment right away. Gum disease is an infection of the tissues that surround and support your teeth. It is a major cause of tooth loss in adults. Because gum disease is usually painless, you may not know you have it. Also referred to as periodontal disease, gum disease is caused by plaque, the sticky film of bacteria that is constantly forming on our teeth.

Here are some warning signs that can signal a problem:
  • gums that bleed easily
  • red, swollen, tender gums
  • gums that have pulled away from the teeth
  • persistent bad breath or bad taste
  • permanent teeth that are loose or separating
  • any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
  • any change in the fit of partial dentures
See your dentist if you suspect you have gum disease because the sooner you treat it the better. The early stage of gum disease is called gingivitis. If you have gingivitis, your gums may become red, swollen and bleed easily. At this stage, the disease is still reversible and can usually be eliminated by a professional cleaning at your dental office, followed by daily brushing and flossing. It is possible to have gum disease and have no warning signs. That is one reason why regular dental checkups and periodontal examinations are very important.
Yesterday.

Let the doctor evaluate your condition and determine the best course of treatment. Gum disease is usually painless (so don't rely on pain to determine if you have it).

Make sure your doctor explains your condition to you so that you understand it.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
How does smoking cause gum disease?
Dr. Sanda M. Moldovan, DDSDr. Sanda M. Moldovan, DDS
Studies show that smoking increases the risk of gum disease by 5 to 7 times, as compared to non-smok...
What is a Periotemp?
Dr. Benjamin S Fiss DDSDr. Benjamin S Fiss DDS
The Periotemp, a special computerized thermometer for your gums, is used to check to see if there ar...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?