What can I do to manage my gum disease?

The best way to manage gum disease is to catch it early. The early stage of gum disease is called gingivitis. If you have gingivitis, your gums may become red, swollen and bleed easily. At this stage, the disease is still reversible and can usually be eliminated by a professional cleaning at your dental office, followed by daily brushing and flossing. Advanced gum disease is called periodontitis. Chronic periodontitis can lead to the loss of tissue and bone that support the teeth and it may become more severe over time. If it does, your teeth will feel loose and start moving around in your mouth.

The treatment methods for managing gum disease depend on how far the condition has progressed. Good dental care at home is essential to help keep gum disease from becoming more serious or recurring. Regular dental checkups and periodontal examinations are very important. Always remember to brush your teeth twice a day, clean between your teeth daily, eat a balanced diet, and schedule regular dental visits for a lifetime of healthy smiles.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
What is it when I have bleeding upon probing in my mouth?
Dentists and periodontists may use bleeding as an indicator of periodontal disease. If your gums ble...
How many women in nursing homes have periodontal disease?
At least half of people older than 55 have periodontal disease. The percentage is higher in elderly ...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?