What is root planing and scaling?

Root planing and scaling is also called deep cleaning. It is a treatment for gum disease (also called gingivitis, periodontitis, or periodontal disease), and is usually performed by a dentist, periodontist or a dental hygienist. If you need a deep cleaning to prevent further damage to your gums and teeth, your dental provider will use dental instruments to scrape tartar off of your teeth. To get rid of bacteria that cause gum disease, your provider will remove tartar from above and below your gum line. Some providers may use lasers to remove tartar, which can reduce swelling and bleeding that occur with regular planing and scaling methods. Medications may also be given to help treat gum disease, such as prescription antibiotic mouthwash or oral antibiotics. People with very deep pockets of tartar or advanced gum disease may need surgery.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How can I afford to treat my gum problems if I have no insurance?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
It depends on the periodontist that you see. Many periodontists offer in-office or other forms of fi...
At what age does gum disease generally start?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Gum disease can start at any age, especially if other risk factors are at play. If you are a heavy s...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?