What happens if gum disease is not treated?

If periodontal (gum) disease is left untreated, the gums may pull away from the teeth and form pockets or spaces between the teeth and gums that usually become infected. Without treatment, the infection can progress, bone loss can occur and teeth may become loose, fall out or require extraction.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
How will I know if my gums are not healthy?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There are several warning signs that can signal a problem with your gums. They are:gums that bleed w...
What is root planing and scaling?
Root planing and scaling is also called deep cleaning. It is a treatment for gum disease (also calle...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?