Is periodontal disease associated with older-aged women?

The severity of  periodontal disease increases with age in men and women. Preventing dental problems through good oral health habits should be a lifelong activity.
Steven Bradway
Dentist

Yes and No. Older aged women can have periodontitis, but being an older age woman does not necessarily put you at greater risk for having periodontitis. Periodontitis is a genetically inherited condition that men and women have for their life time. Approximately 80% of patients with periodontitis start to experience bone loss in their mid-30’s. Periodontitis is painless; a patient can be experiencing bone loss for decades without knowing they have periodontitis. In the 5th through 7th decade, the bone loss can produce noticeably loose teeth. If this is the first time a patient knows they have bone loss, the perception is that it just occurred when in fact the patient has been experiencing bone loss for decades. This can happen in men as well as women; this disease does not appear to have a gender bias.

Many older adults have gum, or periodontal disease, caused by the bacteria in plaque, which irritate the gums, making them swollen, red and more likely to bleed. One reason gum disease is so widespread among adults is that it’s often a painless condition until the advanced stage. If left untreated, gums can begin to pull away from the teeth and form deepened spaces called pockets where food particles and more plaque may collect. Advanced gum disease can eventually destroy the gums, bone and ligaments supporting the teeth leading to tooth loss. The good news is that with regular dental visits gum disease can be treated or prevented entirely.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
How does illness affect the gums?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Your gums might bleed more when your immune system is burdened, like when you have a cold. That'...
How can I afford to treat my gum problems if I have no insurance?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
It depends on the periodontist that you see. Many periodontists offer in-office or other forms of fi...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?