How does illness affect the gums?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Your gums might bleed more when your immune system is burdened, like when you have a cold. That's because the mouth picks up viruses more easily when the immune system is down, causing gums to be more swollen and sensitive.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
What is gum recession?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Gum recession is when the gums shrink, or pull away from, the teeth. Gum recession can happen to...
What can I do to manage my gum disease?
The best way to manage gum disease is to catch it early. The early stage of gum disease is called gi...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?