How does illness affect the gums?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Your gums might bleed more when your immune system is burdened, like when you have a cold. That's because the mouth picks up viruses more easily when the immune system is down, causing gums to be more swollen and sensitive.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Is it normal for most of my gums to recede as I age?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
It is normal for gums to recede as we age. However, as we age, the nerves inside our teeth become sm...
What is gum disease?
Gum (periodontal) disease is an infection of the gums that can affect the bone structure that suppor...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?