How will I know if my gums are not healthy?

There are several warning signs that can signal a problem with your gums. They are:

• gums that bleed when you brush or floss
  • red, swollen or tender gums
  • gums that have pulled away from your teeth
  • bad breath that doesn't go away
  • pus between the teeth and gums
  • loose or separating teeth
  • a change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
  • a change in the fit of partial dentures

If you notice any of the above symptoms, schedule an appointment with your dentist.

Your gums are not healthy if they become swollen, red and tender. Also, gums that bleed when you brush or flossed or have pulled away from the teeth are not healthy. Additional warning signs include infection or pus between the teeth and gums, loose or drifting permanent teeth or changes in the way your teeth fit together when chewing. You may also notice persistent bad breath which can also indicate poor oral health. If you are experiencing any of these common warning signs, you see your dentist as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
What are the signs of periodontal disease in children?
These four signs indicate that your child may have periodontal disease: Bleeding gums during eat...
When should I call my doctor if I have gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you suspect you have gum disease, schedule a dental appointment right away. Gum disease is an inf...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?