How do hormonal changes in women affect risk for gum recession?

Female hormones affect the gums, making women more likely to get gum disease. Some women may experience gingivitis prior to their menstrual cycle, while post-menopausal women may have bone mineral loss which can lead to periodontal disease. Other gum conditions may occur during menopause.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
What could cause my gums to bleed when I am brushing?
Dr. Supriya VermaDr. Supriya Verma
It is best to see your dentist if your gums bleed when you brush. Your dentist will tell you the cau...
What is gum disease?
Gum (periodontal) disease is an infection of the gums that can affect the bone structure that suppor...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?