Is gum disease more prevalent in people with RA?

Randall D. Stastny, DMD
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Having RA does not necessarily make one more prone to having gum disease.  However, many of the medications that are used to treat RA suppress the immune system which in turn can make gum disease more likely if the patient does not take very good care of his/her teeth and gums.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
What is a Periotemp?
Dr. Benjamin S Fiss DDSDr. Benjamin S Fiss DDS
The Periotemp, a special computerized thermometer for your gums, is used to check to see if there ar...
What can I do to manage my gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The best way to manage gum disease is to catch it early. The early stage of gum disease is called gi...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?