When can I use peppermint oil for headaches if I'm breastfeeding?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Topical peppermint oil for headaches can be used by women who are nursing -- but not while you are actually breastfeeding your baby. Peppermint oil should never be used near the faces of babies or children, because it can cause potentially dangerous spasms of the breathing system.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Peppermint

Can peppermint oil cause an allergic reaction?
Peppermint oil can indeed cause an allergic reaction in those sensitive to it, whether used internal...
What are the health benefits of peppermint oil?
Peppermint oil has anti-inflammatory properties and soothes the nerves. Rub into the temples and for...
What is peppermint oil used for?
Sarah LoBiscoSarah LoBisco
Peppermint oil is most revered for its ability to calm upset bellies and support digestion in herbal...
How does peppermint reduce bloating?
Indigestion is one of the most common causes of bloating. Peppermint improves the flow of bile to di...