What is priapism or a persistent erection?

Priapism is the medical term for an erection persists several hours after, or is unrelated to, sexual stimulation. This painful condition is a potential side effect of medications that treat erectile dysfunction (ED), and is caused when blood becomes trapped inside the penis and does not drain normally back into the body.

If you experience an erection that lasts more than four hours after taking Viagra (sildenafil), Cialis (tadalafil), or Levitra (vardenafil) get immediate medical help to avoid scarring and permanent ED.

Priapism is a persistent erection that can occur with the use of drugs for erectile dysfunction (ED), including Viagra, Cialis, and Levitra. While producing an erection is the purpose of these ED medications, a prolonged erection is not a good thing. It can be painful. It can even damage the penis. If your erection is painful, or lasts more than four hours, call your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical care.

Continue Learning about Penis Disorders

How do other illnesses affect penis disorders?
Some illnesses may actually cause penis disorders. Chronic illnesses that affect blood pressure, suc...
Should I talk to my doctor about my penis disorders symptoms?
If you have any symptoms that you think may be caused by a penis disorder, you should talk to your d...
Are penis disorders serious?
Penis disorders may be serious, depending the specific disorder. In most cases penis disorders are p...
How can penis disorders affect my sex life?
Penis disorders may have an impact on your sex life, especially if the condition is left untreated. ...