What lifestyle changes should I make if I have penile cancer?

Lifestyle changes are among the most important steps you can take to prevent recurrence of penile cancer. You should evaluate your hygiene routine to be sure you clean every part of your penis, especially the skin under the foreskin if you are uncircumcised. If you smoke, find a plan to quit that works for you. If you tan in a tanning bed, discontinue your sessions, and always protect your skin by covering it with clothing or sunscreen. Finally, consider your sexual practices to minimize your risk of getting human papilloma virus (HPV).

If you have an advanced form of penile cancer and have undergone chemotherapy, you may suffer side effects that affect your lifestyle, such as fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and pain. Your doctor will work with you help minimize these symptoms and their impact on your lifestyle.

Continue Learning about Penile Cancer

Is penile cancer serious?
Penile cancer is a serious disease requiring professional treatment. If you report unusual skin cond...
What is the rate of incidence for penile cancer?
In the United States, about 1 in 100,000 men will develop penile cancer (that's about 1% of all canc...
How long does penile cancer last?
Penile cancer lasts until treatment removes it from your body. Small or early stage cancers may be r...
Should I be worried about penile cancer?
Worrying about a disease that you have not yet caught is never a good idea. Understanding risk facto...