What increases my risk for penile cancer?

Men who are uncircumcised (with the foreskin intact) are more likely to develop penile cancer than those who were circumcised as infants. This is possibly because uncircumcised men have a greater chance of getting another penile cancer risk factor: phimosis. Phimosis is a hardening of the foreskin, which can make it hard to wash the glans (head of the penis). Phimosis, in turn, can lead to smegma, a buildup of dead skin cells and oily secretions that can inflame the skin of the glans and make if difficult to detect penile cancer early.

Many other factors may contribute to the development of penile cancer, including genetic factors, excessive sun exposure, age (it is more likely to occur in older adults), and smoking.

Continue Learning about Penile Cancer

Should I be worried about penile cancer?
Worrying about a disease that you have not yet caught is never a good idea. Understanding risk facto...
Is penile cancer serious?
Penile cancer is a serious disease requiring professional treatment. If you report unusual skin cond...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with penile cancer?
The most important role in caring for someone with penile cancer is to support them in their daily l...
How long does penile cancer last?
Penile cancer lasts until treatment removes it from your body. Small or early stage cancers may be r...