Does penile cancer run in families?

While genetics is not a direct factor in your risk of penile cancer, genetic traits, such as fair skin, can increase your risk of penile and other skin cancers. Other factors, which are fortunately more within your control, are more likely to increase your risk of penile cancer. Washing your penis thoroughly, including under the foreskin if you are uncircumcised, is the best way to prevent penile cancer. Limiting your sexual activity to one or a few partners and wearing a condom during intercourse reduce the risk of catching human papilloma virus (HPV), which increases the risk of penile cancer.

Continue Learning about Penile Cancer

Should I be worried about penile cancer?
Worrying about a disease that you have not yet caught is never a good idea. Understanding risk facto...
What is the rate of incidence for penile cancer?
In the United States, about 1 in 100,000 men will develop penile cancer (that's about 1% of all canc...
How long does penile cancer last?
Penile cancer lasts until treatment removes it from your body. Small or early stage cancers may be r...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with penile cancer?
The most important role in caring for someone with penile cancer is to support them in their daily l...