What should I know about oxacillin sodium before taking it?

Oxacillin sodium could cause allergic reactions if you are allergic to it or other penicillin drugs, or to cephalosporin antibiotics. Since oxacillin sodium is often injected, you will need to be aware of possible irritation or infection at the injection site. To help prevent this, it is best to not always get the shot in the same place on the body.

You may need to learn how to administer the shots or use an IV at home, so you need to talk to your doctor or another healthcare provider about the proper handling and storage of the oxacillin sodium in between doses. Appropriate use and disposal of needles and other supplies should be discussed, as should the signs and symptoms of an infection at the injection or IV site.

Some other antibiotics drugs such as probenecid, tetracyclines, or aminoglycosides may interact with oxacillin sodium, so be sure to discuss any medications you are already using before you start taking oxacillin sodium injections.

Oxacillin sodium may alter how some birth control pills function, and it could affect the results of medical test results, including some for daily blood sugar testing. If you have hay fever or asthma, be sure your doctor knows before you start taking oxacillin sodium. You should discuss previous stomach or intestine problems as well as liver or kidney diseases. Pregnancy needs to be discussed as well.

Continue Learning about Penicillins

What is Bicillin C-R Tubex?
Bicillin C-R Tubex is the brand name prescription drug that combines procaine and benzathine penic...
What should I know about Bicillin C-R 900/300 before taking it?
You should not take Bicillin C-R 900/300 if you are allergic to penicillin or to cephalosporin a...
What should I know about Bicillin C-R Tubex before taking it?
Bicillin C-R Tubex is the drug product packaged in a specific patented syringe called a Tubex sy...
Who should not take Bicillin C-R Tubex?