What should I know about Penicillin G Potassium before using it?

Penicillin G Potassium should not be used if you are allergic to penicillin. You should not use this drug if you have had an allergic reaction to cephalosporin antibiotics, without first letting your doctor know. Let your doctor know about any other allergies you may have to medicines or foods. Inform them if you have asthma, liver, kidney or heart disease, so they can run some tests to determine if you can use this drug. You may feel better before your treatment is over, but do not stop using this medication before the doctor tells you to do so, since your infection may still be in the body. This medication is not effective on viral infections such as flu. This is a Category B drug and is not thought to cause harm to an unborn fetus. This can, however, be passed through the child while breastfeeding. It should also be noted that reactions to penicillin can be either immediate or delayed. Immediate adverse allergic reactions will typically be noticed within 20 minutes. The delayed allergic reaction will sometimes take up to 48 hours.

Continue Learning about Penicillins

What is Bicillin C-R 900/300?
Bicillin C-R 900/300 is the brand name of the antibiotic combination of penicillin G benzathine ...
What should I know about Bicillin C-R 900/300 before taking it?
You should not take Bicillin C-R 900/300 if you are allergic to penicillin or to cephalosporin a...
What should I know about Bicillin C-R before taking it?
You should know that Bicillin C-R is administered as a deep intramuscular injection. You should ...
What should I know about Bicillin C-R Tubex before taking it?
Bicillin C-R Tubex is the drug product packaged in a specific patented syringe called a Tubex sy...