Is pelvic inflammatory disease serious?

If it's caught and treated, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) may not be too serious. However, because pelvic inflammatory disease often doesn't cause any noticeable symptoms, it may not be diagnosed and treated until it's already caused serious problems. When pelvic inflammatory disease is left untreated, it can lead to complications such as chronic pelvic pain, an increased risk of ectopic pregnancy, and infertility. PID isn't often life-threatening, but these complications are still serious and permanent. Because of these risks, it's important to talk to your doctor as soon as you notice any symptoms.

Shelley C. Giebel, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Yes, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) is a serious medical condition.  If left untreated, PID can cause scar tissue inside the uterus and in the pelvis.  Tubal pregnancies and infertility can occur.  If the infection is left untreated, PID can require hospitalization and even surgery in severe cases.  It is important to seek medical care as soon as you suspect PID.  Finish the complete course of antibiotics prescribed.  A follow-up examination is important to assure resolution.  

Continue Learning about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)

Can pelvic inflammatory disease affect my sex life?
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) may affect your sex life for several reasons. Sometimes PID may ca...
How does pelvic inflammatory disease affect the body?
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) starts when bacteria enter the female reproductive organs, usually...
Can I get pelvic inflammatory disease again even if I've already had it?
Having pelvic inflammatory disease once doesn't protect you from getting infected again. In fact, yo...
Can pelvic inflammatory disease affect men?
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) doesn't affect men because it's an infection of the fallopian tube...