How do IUDs affect pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?

It's a common misconception that the use of an intrauterine device (IUD) increases the risk of developing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). The risk of developing PID is minimally increased during the first 20 days after insertion of the device, but after that time, the risk returns to baseline. This risk can be reduced by testing women for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) before IUD insertion and treating appropriately. IUDs are an extremely safe and effective means of preventing pregnancy, with less than 1% unintended pregnancies per year.

Continue Learning about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)

Is there a cure for pelvic inflammatory disease?
The treatment options for pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) are antibiotics. In severe cases you may...
What are the symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?
Symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) can vary. PID may have severe or mild symptoms, and so...
Can pelvic inflammatory disease affect men?
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) doesn't affect men because it's an infection of the fallopian tube...
What should I know if my partner has pelvic inflammatory disease?
If your partner has pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), it's important to support them and take care ...