Why don't statin drugs damage heart muscle?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
You ask an interesting question. The statin drugs that people take to lower cholesterol do sometimes injure the skeletal muscles that move the limbs and other parts of the body. It's not entirely clear how that happens.

The heart is a muscle. However, heart muscle (the medical term is myocardium) is built somewhat differently from the skeletal muscles. If you were to look at a piece of heart muscle under a microscope (particularly an electron microscope) you would see subtle differences between it and a piece of muscle taken from, say, your biceps. This makes sense because the two different types of muscle have very different types of jobs to do. The skeletal muscles need to work sometimes but can rest at other times, whereas the heart muscle (like the muscles that help you breathe) needs to work every minute of your life—without fail.

I did an electronic search of published medical articles since 2000 and didn't find any reports of statins adversely affecting heart muscle. In fact, just the opposite: there are several studies suggesting that statins may benefit patients with heart muscle diseases like cardiomyopathy and heart failure.

So even though statins can cause damage to skeletal muscles, don't stop taking them because your heart is a muscle. They appear to be good for that all-important muscle.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
How can I get the most benefit from my statin medication?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
You can do several things to make sure your particular statin is working as well as it can.Take lova...
What do patients need to know to be their own advocate?
Regional Medical CenterRegional Medical Center
As your own advocate, you need to give all new doctors facts about your past care and current treatm...
How Did Sharecare Begin?
How Did Sharecare Begin?