What are some tips for using prescription painkillers safely?

Follow these steps to take prescription pain pills wisely:
  • Tell your doctor about all the medications you take. This includes prescriptions, over-the-unter remedies, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
  • Follow the directions exactly. Don't change your dose without talking to your doctor.
  • Don't drink alcohol.
  • Talk to your doctor before you take sleep aids, antianxiety medication, or other pain relievers.
  • Keep track of your pills, and don't share them with others.
  • Get rid of unused pills. "Extra" pain pills can be dangerous to children or a target for thieves. Ask your pharmacist for directions how. Don't just toss them in the trash.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
News about the FDA warning that NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be heart risky has made lots of you worried about taking those pain-...
Is it always okay to break pills or tablets in half?
No, it is not always okay to break tablets. Sometimes it is okay, especially if the tablet has a...
What supplements should I avoid if I am taking statins?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If you are taking statins, avoid taking vitamin E. Vitamin E supplements can deplete your body o...
How Did Sharecare Begin?
How Did Sharecare Begin?