What is antibiotic resistance?

Antibiotic resistance is the ability of bacteria or other microbes to resist the effects of an antibiotic. Antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria change in some way that reduces or eliminates the effectiveness of drugs, chemicals or other agents designed to cure or prevent infections. The bacteria survive and continue to multiply causing more harm.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Antibiotics is supposed to keep diseases away. But getting too many antibiotics in your food and in medications can eventually hurt your health. Dr. Oz talks with Dr. Rita Kalyani in this video about antibiotic resistance.

The short answer to your question is antibiotic resistance is when a germ is not killed or their growth inhibited by the antimicrobial drug being used. In order for the germ to be resistant, it must not only have a gene that protects the it, but the gene must be functioning. All of this is determined in the laboratory by growing the germ in the presence of the antibiotic. If the germ is susceptible, there will be a ring of inhibition around a disk containing the antibiotic. If the germ is resistant, it grows right up to the antibiotic disk.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

News: FDA Warns Online Drug Buyers About Fake Letter Scam
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers about fraudulent letters sent to people who have purchased medicines online or over t...
What are selective cyclo-oxygenase (COX) inhibitors?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
The search for a safer type of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) led to the developmen...
How can I find out if a prescription drug may be causing my fatigue?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
You may have to do your homework. Many doctors are not aware of the interaction between the drug...
How Will Sharecare Educate Me About My Health?