What are side effects of alpha-adrenergic antagonist medications?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Alpha-adrenergic antagonist medications lower blood pressure and may make you prone to a sudden drop in blood pressure when you change position from lying down to sitting or standing (called postural hypotension). To minimize this symptom, your doctor may suggest taking the medication at bedtime. Some doctors are hesitant to prescribe alpha blockers for men who are already on another blood pressure medication. Other side effects may include dizziness, lack of energy, or swelling of the ankles.

If you are planning cataract surgery, tell your ophthalmologist if you are taking an alpha-adrenergic antagonist. The drugs can affect how the pupils of your eyes act during the procedure, and may necessitate a change in surgical technique.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
What questions should I ask my doctor if he prescribes a new drug?
When a new drug is started patients should know why it was started, what the side effects are, h...
How can I avoid making a mistake when taking prescription medication?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Be sure you and your family know how any prescribed medications work, what the side effects are ...
How Is Sharecare Different?
How Is Sharecare Different?