What diet should I follow if I am taking statins?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
There's no point in allowing the food you eat to fight the medication you take. The protective effect of statins is enhanced by a diet that is low in saturated fat and naturally high in fiber and omega-3 fats. Eating well can reduce the dose of drug you need and therefore reduce the risk of side effects.

Two components of a healthy diet that need to be watched if you're taking a statin are grapefruit juice and pomegranate juice. Each of these can raise the blood level of statins. If you increase or decrease the amounts of these juices you consume, you may have to change the dose of statin you're taking.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
News about the FDA warning that NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be heart risky has made lots of you worried about taking those pain-...
How can I avoid making a mistake when taking prescription medication?
If you're taking prescription meds, be a smart patient. Here's everything you need to know to av...
What do patients need to know to be their own advocate?
Regional Medical CenterRegional Medical Center
As your own advocate, you need to give all new doctors facts about your past care and current treatm...
How Is Sharecare Different?
How Is Sharecare Different?