What diet should I follow if I am taking statins?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
There's no point in allowing the food you eat to fight the medication you take. The protective effect of statins is enhanced by a diet that is low in saturated fat and naturally high in fiber and omega-3 fats. Eating well can reduce the dose of drug you need and therefore reduce the risk of side effects.

Two components of a healthy diet that need to be watched if you're taking a statin are grapefruit juice and pomegranate juice. Each of these can raise the blood level of statins. If you increase or decrease the amounts of these juices you consume, you may have to change the dose of statin you're taking.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

News: FDA Warns Online Drug Buyers About Fake Letter Scam
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers about fraudulent letters sent to people who have purchased medicines online or over t...
What are inhaled steroids?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Inhaled steroids -- Flovent, Pulmicort, and Aerobid -- are the best weapons we have to counter the s...
How can I find out if a prescription drug may be causing my fatigue?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
You may have to do your homework. Many doctors are not aware of the interaction between the drug...
How Will Sharecare Educate Me About My Health?