What are some examples of statins?

Medications that fall in the class of "statins" include the earlier generations: fluvastatin (Lescol), lovastatin (Mevacor), pravastatin (Pravachol), and the newer generations: simvastatin (Zocor), atorvastatin (Lipitor), rosuvastatin (Crestor), and the newest medication in the class, pitavastatin (Lovalo).  All statins are similar in that they act on a specific protein in the liver that helps to reduce LDL- cholesterol ("bad" cholesterol) levels, but the newer generation statins are more effective in doing so.  If you need to lower your cholesterol, a primary care physician or cardiologist can select the one that is best for your needs.
Some common examples of statin medications are:• atorvastatin (Lipitor)• fluvastatin (Lescol)• lovastatin (Mevacor)• pravastatin (Pravachol)• rosuvastatin (Crestor)• simvastatin (Zocor)

Continue Learning about Patient Education

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
What diet should I follow if I am taking statins?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
There's no point in allowing the food you eat to fight the medication you take. The protective e...
Should I take a generic drug?
Here's what I advise if you're thinking about taking a generic drug:When possible, choose a generi...
How Is Sharecare Different?
How Is Sharecare Different?