Should I take a generic drug?

Here's what I advise if you're thinking about taking a generic drug:
  • When possible, choose a generic drug that's made by the same company that makes (or made) the brand-name drug. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) estimates that 50% of generic drugs are produced by the original brand-name companies.
  • Pay attention to how you feel. If you don't think the medication is doing what it's supposed to, call your doctor. Ask if you can try a brand-name drug, or switch to another medication.
  • If the brand-name version is too expensive, contact your health insurance provider and ask about ways to save money on healthcare costs. You can also find out if the pharmaceutical company has a program to make the medication more affordable.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
How do Viagra, Levitra and Cialis treat erectile dysfunction (ED)?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
Sildenafil (Viagra), vardenafil (Levitra), and tadalafil (Cialis) belong to a class of drugs called ...
How can I understand my medication prescription instructions?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Compare notes with your pharmacist. Ask your pharmacist for written instructions and a list of s...
Is Sharecare About Globalized Medicine?
Is Sharecare About Globalized Medicine?