Why should I rethink taking quinine sulfate for my nighttime leg cramps?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

Unfortunately, the prescription drug quinine sulfate, which has been used off-label for decades as an effective cure for nighttime leg cramps, is once again having continued reports of serious side effects, from bleeding to kidney damage to death.

If you are taking this medication and you notice bleeding gums, easy bruising, or blood in your urine, go immediately to your doctor and he or she will need to check your blood count, with special attention to your platelets (the team members that cause your blood to clot).

So, what are you to do if you swear by this drug? First of all, please discuss it with your doctor. Make sure you have been recently checked for low iron stores (a ferritin level) to be sure that isn't the real cause of your leg pain. Your physician will examine you and possibly check a few blood tests.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
News about the FDA warning that NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be heart risky has made lots of you worried about taking those pain-...
What questions should I ask my doctor if he prescribes a new drug?
PhRMAPhRMA
If your provider recommends that you start taking a new prescription drug, here are some questions t...
What diet should I follow if I am taking statins?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
There's no point in allowing the food you eat to fight the medication you take. The protective e...
How Will Sharecare Educate Me About My Health?