What can patients do to protect themselves from unsafe drugs?

Patients can be confident that the drug they are taking has been thoroughly studied and evaluated in a series of clinical trials before the FDA approved it for the public. Nevertheless, there are some important steps patients should take to make sure their medicines are safe for them:
1) understand the side effects;
2) follow the directions on how to take the medicine;
3) monitor how the medicine makes you feel and report this to your physician;
3) only fill prescriptions from a reputable pharmacy that has a licensed pharmacist on staff;
4) avoid internet pharmacies and be aware of counterfeit drugs.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
News about the FDA warning that NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be heart risky has made lots of you worried about taking those pain-...
How can I avoid making a mistake when taking prescription medication?
If you're taking prescription meds, be a smart patient. Here's everything you need to know to av...
How can I avoid side effects from oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
The oral bisphosphonates typically prescribed for osteoporosis are alendronate (Fosamax), risedr...
How Did Sharecare Begin?
How Did Sharecare Begin?