Is Primatene safe for my child?

Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergy & Immunology
Primatene is the oldest asthma inhaler. It has been advertised on television and the radio for decades. The active ingredients of Primatene don't just affect the lungs, they stimulate the heart. They have both beta-2, which works on the lungs, and beta-1, which works on the heart, whereas the most common rescue inhaler we use, albuterol, is specific for the lungs. As urban pediatric allergists, this specific form of self-medication worries us a great deal.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Patient Education

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
What supplements should I avoid if I am taking statins?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If you are taking statins, avoid taking vitamin E. Vitamin E supplements can deplete your body o...
What diet should I follow if I am taking statins?
There's no point in allowing the food you eat to fight the medication you take. The protective e...
How Will Sharecare Educate Me About My Health?