How can I find out if a prescription drug may be causing my fatigue?

Emilia Klapp
You may have to do your homework. Many doctors are not aware of the interaction between the drugs they prescribe and food, for instance. You can look up your medication in the Physician’s Desk Reference on the Web or at the library and check if fatigue is listed as a complication; however, fatigue often is not listed as a side effect if it has not occurred in a high percentage of people. Your pharmacist might know if your medication can cause fatigue. If you have concerns about a particular medication and fatigue, you can ask your doctor to order a lab test to assess your biochemistry levels, which could indicate a nutritional deficiency in B vitamins or magnesium. You also can inquire about other medications that serve the same purpose and research those as well.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
News about the FDA warning that NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be heart risky has made lots of you worried about taking those pain-...
Which foods and drugs interact with blood pressure medications?
The following information lists the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse drug react...
What supplements should I avoid if I am taking statins?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If you are taking statins, avoid taking vitamin E. Vitamin E supplements can deplete your body o...
Is Sharecare About Globalized Medicine?
Is Sharecare About Globalized Medicine?