How should I choose a cough syrup?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

Pick an over-the-counter cough syrup with DM from your pharmacy, and keep it in your medicine cabinet. Look for Robitussin DM or Triaminic Cough and Cold or the generic store equivalents. The primary ingredient you are looking for is the DM -- the dextromethorphan. This is the cough suppressant portion. The other active ingredients tend to be decongestants and antihistamines. If you pick the pure cough syrups rather than the cough and cold combos, you can choose your own decongestants/antihistamines (to control side effects like sleepiness).

If you have developed a cough that is lasting all night long, preventing you from sleeping and leaving you with sore stomach muscles from all that coughing, a prescription cough syrup may be the right answer. Ask your doctor. But remember that these are addictive, so if you have a tendency toward preferring medications that give you a slight buzz, this is not something you should keep around your home.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
How do alpha blockers help treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
In the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) alpha blockers attach to certain receptors in...
How can I make an informed decision regarding my cancer treatment and care?
Cathy Cole, NPCathy Cole, NP
Your healthcare team will help you make informed decisions regarding your cancer treatment and care....
Is Sharecare Like a Medical Reference Book?