How can I get the most benefit from my statin medication?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
You can do several things to make sure your particular statin is working as well as it can.
  • Take lovastatin with food. This almost doubles the amount of medication that gets into your bloodstream.
  • It's best to take lovastatin, simvastatin, or fluvastatin with your evening meal. That's because these statins block a key cholesterol-making enzyme in the liver that is most active at night. Atorvastatin, pravastatin, and rosuvastatin last long enough in the body that it doesn't matter when you take them.
  • Grapefruit juice increases blood levels of lovastatin, simvastatin, and atorvastatin, but doesn't usually affect the other statins. While this can make the drug work better, it can also lead to a potentially dangerous build-up of the drug that can damage muscles and sometimes lead to death.
  • Beware of drug interactions. Mention all other medications you are taking when talking with your doctor about a statin to avoid potentially harmful interactions. If you are on other medications, you may want to try pravastatin, which is less likely than the other statins to interact with other medications.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

News: FDA Warns Online Drug Buyers About Fake Letter Scam
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers about fraudulent letters sent to people who have purchased medicines online or over t...
Can muscle damage from a statin continue after I stop taking the drug?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Statins can damage muscles, but the effect should fade once you stop taking the drug.Statins can cau...
Which foods and drugs interact with blood pressure medications?
The following information lists the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse drug react...
Why Silence Is Bad for Your Health
Why Silence Is Bad for Your Health