How can I get the most benefit from my statin medication?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
You can do several things to make sure your particular statin is working as well as it can.
  • Take lovastatin with food. This almost doubles the amount of medication that gets into your bloodstream.
  • It's best to take lovastatin, simvastatin, or fluvastatin with your evening meal. That's because these statins block a key cholesterol-making enzyme in the liver that is most active at night. Atorvastatin, pravastatin, and rosuvastatin last long enough in the body that it doesn't matter when you take them.
  • Grapefruit juice increases blood levels of lovastatin, simvastatin, and atorvastatin, but doesn't usually affect the other statins. While this can make the drug work better, it can also lead to a potentially dangerous build-up of the drug that can damage muscles and sometimes lead to death.
  • Beware of drug interactions. Mention all other medications you are taking when talking with your doctor about a statin to avoid potentially harmful interactions. If you are on other medications, you may want to try pravastatin, which is less likely than the other statins to interact with other medications.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
What diet should I follow if I am taking statins?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
There's no point in allowing the food you eat to fight the medication you take. The protective e...
How can pomelo and grapefruit affect my statin?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The pomelo (also called shaddock, pumelo, pommelo, and Chinese grapefruit) is the largest citrus...
Cure for Pectis Excavatum
Cure for Pectis Excavatum