What types of food should I avoid when taking antidepressants?

Many aged cheeses such as parmesan, romano, asiago, brie and cheddar contain tyramine, a normally harmless substance that is broken down by the enzyme monoamine oxidase. But when people who are taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) antidepressant eat foods containing tyramine, they are unable to break it down and that can cause them to experience a potentially deadly spike in blood pressure, a risk factor for heart attack and stroke. Tyramine increases the release of the body's neurotransmitter chemicals charged with narrowing or dilating blood vessels in response to shifts in blood pressure.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

News: FDA Warns Online Drug Buyers About Fake Letter Scam
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers about fraudulent letters sent to people who have purchased medicines online or over t...
What are the dangers of medicine and food mixing inside my body?
The benefit of most medicines often hinges on how well it is absorbed, metabolized and eliminated fr...
What are inhaled steroids?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Inhaled steroids -- Flovent, Pulmicort, and Aerobid -- are the best weapons we have to counter the s...
Is It Okay to Use the Internet to Self-Diagnose?