Do statin drugs lower blood pressure?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Statins, such as atorvastatin (Lipitor), simvastatin (Zocor), and rosuvastatin (Crestor), are taken to lower cholesterol. They may lower blood pressure -- the evidence is still thin -- but if they do, the effect is small. Few of the multitude of trials testing these cholesterol-lowering medicines checked blood pressure before and after and kept the use of blood pressure medicines constant. An analysis of the results of the few small trials that took these steps showed a reduction of almost 2 points in systolic blood pressure (the upper number of a blood pressure reading) and a reduction of under 1 point for the diastolic pressure (the bottom number). Note that these are average changes, and the effect in individuals can be bigger or smaller.

What does this mean for people who take a statin? Not much. For those with high blood pressure, these medications certainly can't take the place of blood pressure medicine. For those with a healthy blood pressure, taking a statin to keep cholesterol in check may help a bit to keep blood pressure in the safety zone.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

News: FDA Warns Online Drug Buyers About Fake Letter Scam
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers about fraudulent letters sent to people who have purchased medicines online or over t...
What supplements should I avoid if I am taking statins?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If you are taking statins, avoid taking vitamin E. Vitamin E supplements can deplete your body o...
What types of food should I avoid when taking statins?
Statins are a class of cholesterol-lowering drugs people take to lower triglyceride and LDL choleste...
How Is Sharecare Different?
How Is Sharecare Different?