Can berberine increase the effectiveness of statins?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
Berberine is a component of several herbs, of which goldenseal is the best known. At a dose of about 800 milligrams a day it can increase the removal of cholesterol from the blood, enhancing the effect of statins. Berberine may also reduce blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
News about the FDA warning that NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be heart risky has made lots of you worried about taking those pain-...
What supplements should I avoid if I am taking statins?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If you are taking statins, avoid taking vitamin E. Vitamin E supplements can deplete your body o...
What is antibiotic resistance?
Antibiotic resistance is the ability of bacteria or other microbes to resist the effects of an antib...
How Did Sharecare Begin?
How Did Sharecare Begin?