What are type I muscle fibers?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Type I muscle fibers are slow-twitch, small muscle fibers used for carrying light loads over long distances. These fibers have increased resistance to fatigue, and are well suited for activities related to physical effort requiring strength and endurance.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...
Marjorie Nolan Cohn
Type I muscle fibers are considered slow Twitch muscle fibers. The slow muscles are more efficient at using oxygen to generate more fuel (known as ATP) for continuous, extended muscle contractions over a long time. They fire more slowly than fast twitch fibers and can go for a long time before they fatigue. Therefore, slow twitch fibers are great at helping athletes run marathons and bicycle for hours.

Continue Learning about Parts of the Muscular System

What muscles make up my upper-back area?
The two primary muscles in the upper back include the trapezius and, although usually considered mor...
What is a deltoid muscle?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The deltoid muscle is the shoulder muscle originating from the clavicle (collar bone) and scapula (s...
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
How Much Protein Do You Need?
How Much Protein Do You Need?