What muscles help the knees move?

Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Muscles power the movement of your knees. These muscles include:
  • the quadriceps, a set of four muscles, often called the "quads," that runs up the front of your thigh and contracts when you straighten your knee, working hard when you get up from sitting or squatting
  • the calf muscle (gastrocnemius), which helps the knee and ankle bend.
  • the hamstrings, three muscles in back of your thighs that contract when you bend your knees, helping support your weight as you sit down, and helping to extend the hip as you get up.

Continue Learning about Parts of the Muscular System

What is the tensor fascia lata muscle?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
On the front of the hip is the tensor fascia lata (TFL), a relatively small but important muscle tha...
What are the muscles of the upper extremities?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
The muscles of the upper extremities are the following:   Latissimus dorsi. The big V-shaped ...
How Can I Treat a Muscle Strain?
How Can I Treat a Muscle Strain?
What Causes Muscle Spasms?
What Causes Muscle Spasms?