What is the semimembranosus muscle?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

The semimembranosus is a hamstring muscle that originates at the pelvis and inserts on the medial surface of the tibia. It flexes and medially rotates the knee and can assist with medical rotation of the hip.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

Continue Learning about Parts of the Muscular System

What are the hamstrings?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The hamstrings are three muscles located in the back of the thigh -- biceps femoris, semitendino...
What is the trapezius muscle?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The trapezius is a large muscle group of the shoulder, neck, and upper back. The trapezius muscl...
"No Pain, No Gain" Doesn't Apply to Strength Training
How Can I Treat a Muscle Strain?
How Can I Treat a Muscle Strain?