What is a muscle?

There are actually three types of muscle: skeletal, smooth, and cardiac. Skeletal muscles work together to bend and straighten your body parts. They are called voluntary because they require you to be aware and use your brain to control them. Smooth muscles surround the arteries, as well as the intestines and other organs of the digestive tract. These muscles are involuntary because your brain makes them work even though you are not aware of it. The heart, called the cardiac muscle, is also involuntary. It contracts and relaxes whether you are aware of it or not.

Continue Learning about Parts of the Muscular System

What are the muscles of the lower body?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
The muscles in the lower extremities are the following:   Buttocks. Hip flexors. The mu...
What are type I muscle fibers?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Type I muscle fibers are slow-twitch, small muscle fibers used for carrying light loads over long di...
What Is Emu Oil?
What Is Emu Oil?
"No Pain, No Gain" Doesn't Apply to Strength Training