What are the side effects of deep brain stimulation?

The possible side effects of deep brain stimulation might include the worsening of certain motor symptoms and speech or language problems; however the rate of occurrence of these side effects is very low, and they can be minimized or avoided with programming of the deep brain stimulation system.

Complications from deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery include hemorrhage within the brain and infection.

Continue Learning about Parkinson's Disease Treatment

Are patients sedated during deep brain stimulation surgery?
Arif I. Dalvi, MDArif I. Dalvi, MD
For the first part of the surgery that involves brain mapping, the patient is conscious or may h...
What kind of battery is used for deep brain stimulation (DBS)?
Good Samaritan HospitalGood Samaritan Hospital
The battery pack used for deep brain stimulation is about the same size as a pacemaker.
Is There a More Holistic Approach to Treating Parkinson's Disease?
Is There a Controversy About When to Start Medication for Parkinson's Diesease?