What symptoms of Parkinson’s are improved by deep brain stimulation?

Deep brain stimulation improves symptoms of tremor, stiffness, and slowness. The best predictor of which symptoms will improve with deep brain stimulation are those that improve with medications for Parkinson disease, such as levodopa, pramipexole, or ropinirole. Some symptoms do not respond as well to DBS. These include balance, speech, and memory.

Deep brain stimulation improves Parkinson’s symptoms such as controlling tremors and rigidity and allows patients to better perform tasks themselves.

Continue Learning about Parkinson's Disease Treatment

What is lesioning?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Doctors learned in the early 1950s that lesioning-or destroying-specific areas in the brain could be...
Are patients sedated during deep brain stimulation surgery?
Arif I. Dalvi, MDArif I. Dalvi, MD
For the first part of the surgery that involves brain mapping, the patient is conscious or may h...
What Is the Typical Progression of Parkinson's Disease?
Why Haven't There Been Any Potent Drugs Developed for Parkinson's Since the 60s?