What is Subthalamic Nucleus deep brain stimulation?

Nader Pouratian, MD
Neurosurgery
Subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation refers to deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease. There are two targets for deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease, the subthalamic nucleus and the globus pallidus internus. Studies have shown that the two targets are equally effective for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease and the motor disorders of Parkinson’s disease. The difference is that subthalamic nucleus stimulation allows patients to reduce their medications more so than globus pallidus stimulation. However, the studies show that there seem to be an increase in the neurocognitive or psychological side effects of stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus.

Continue Learning about Parkinson's Disease Treatment

What is deep brain stimulation (DBS)?
Dr. Arif I. Dalvi, MDDr. Arif I. Dalvi, MD
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) involves implanting an electrode in the brain to deliver continuous...
How are the non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease treated?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The non-motor (non-movement-related) symptoms of Parkinson’s disease are treated in a number of ways...
Are There Any New Treatments for Parkinson's Disease that Excite You?
Do You Think Lack of Funding for Stem Cell Research Will Change?