How quickly does deep brain stimulation treatment work?

Deep brain stimulation (DBS) takes a while to work, so people need to see their doctors regularly. Their doctor's team will check how they're doing and change the signal strength if it’s needed.

With deep brain stimulation, patients with Parkinson's disease and essential tremor often note immediate improvement, and the results are long lasting. In contrast, patients with dystonia or obsessive-compulsive disorder may not notice any benefit for weeks or months.

The brain site to be stimulated depends on the disease to be treated. Once the incisions have healed, the devices are activated and the settings customized to meet the needs of the patient.

Continue Learning about Parkinson's Disease Treatment

Are there alternative treatments for Parkinson's disease?
There are some alternative treatments for Parkinson's disease, although you should always check with...
What is deep brain stimulation (DBS)?
Dr. Arif I. Dalvi, MDDr. Arif I. Dalvi, MD
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) involves implanting an electrode in the brain to deliver continuous...
How Is Deep Brain Stimulation Used for Parkinson's?
Is There a More Holistic Approach to Treating Parkinson's Disease?