How does the deep brain stimulation influence brain structures?

There are several possibilities regarding how deep brain stimulation influences the brain structures it stimulates.

One possibility is that quickly repeating electrical signals the DBS electrode emits may block irregular brain activity.

In that scenario, the electrical stimulation can be likened to a gate blocking pathways of certain corrupted information.

Another possibility is the regular electrical pulses coming from the implanted DBS electrode would override the irregular flows of information. In other words, electrical stimulation coming from the DBS device would drown out abnormal brain activity.

While doctors do not have the complete answers as to why DBS works, they have enough experience with it to feel confident about its effectiveness and safety.

Continue Learning about Parkinson's Disease Treatment

What role does dopamine play in Parkinson's disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Dopamine is a brain chemical important for communication between cells, and it plays a major role in...
What can go wrong with a deep brain stimulation implant?
Arif I. Dalvi, MDArif I. Dalvi, MD
The most common malfunction of an implanted deep brain stimulation (DBS) device is spread of ele...
How Is Deep Brain Stimulation Used for Parkinson's?
Is There a More Holistic Approach to Treating Parkinson's Disease?