What conditions can mimic Parkinson's disease?

Certain conditions can mimic Parkinson’s disease because the symptoms are similar. In fact, most people who have tremors (shaking or trembling of their arms or legs) do not have Parkinson’s disease. This can happen with aging or can be related to medication and medical issues. Some types of walking problems can also look like Parkinson’s disease, including walking problems due to Alzheimer’s disease. Doctors consider symptoms and the results from a physical exam to determine whether a person has Parkinson's disease or another condition.

Continue Learning about Parkinson's Disease Symptoms & Warning Signs

What are the non-motor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease?
Nader Pouratian, MDNader Pouratian, MD
Parkinson’s disease, even though we call it a movement disorder, is much more than just a movement d...
Should I talk to my doctor about my Parkinson's disease symptoms?
If you notice any symptoms of Parkinson's disease, it's a good idea to talk to your doctor. Tremors ...
Aside from Dopamine, Are there Other Things To Do for Restless Legs Syndrome?
Is There a Timeline for Dementia Related to Parkinson's?