What are the advanced symptoms of Parkinson’s disease?

Nader Pouratian, MD
Neurosurgery
As Parkinson’s disease becomes more advanced in terms of movement, we see dyskinesias, or uncontrolled movements of the body. That’s usually a medication-induced effect. So when people take their medications, instead of being stiff and rigid, which is what we classically associate with Parkinson’s disease, people have excess movements. We’ve seen that in the likes of Michael J. Fox, who often cannot sit still when he’s in interviews, and that’s not because of anything but the medications causing those movements.

We also see dystonia, which is cramping of the legs or hands that can happen usually when the medications are wearing off. We see gait problems or walking difficulties, and finally, we can see balance difficulties.

Continue Learning about Parkinson's Disease Symptoms & Warning Signs

What conditions can mimic Parkinson's disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Certain conditions can mimic Parkinson’s disease because the symptoms are similar. In fact, most peo...
What can I do if I’m self-conscious about Parkinson's disease symptoms?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Try not to be self-conscious about the visible symptoms of your Parkinson’s disease. It may be c...
Which Parkinson's Disease Symptoms Progress the Fastest?
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of the Disease?