Parenting may be the toughest -- and the most fulfilling -- job you'll ever do. Whether you have a baby on the way, a teen on the way out, a toddler, a preschooler, a school-ager or a house full of kids of all ages, read on to learn about critical development stages, fine-tune your parenting style, and find answers to your toughest parenting questions.
How Do You Parent?
There are as many approaches to (and controversies about) parenting today as there are junior members of the Jolie-Pitt household. The bottom line is this: Trust your instincts and follow these basics for raising healthy, confident kids.
Rx for Hot-Button Issues
Ah, if only kids were born with instruction manuals. That way, whenever an issue arises -- from a diagnosis of autism to a problem with bullying -- moms and dads could just skip to the "Troubleshooting" section and find the answers they need. Without such a guide, there are lots of resources for common parenting challenges.
Make Time for YourselfPrevent Burnout
AskMDGet personalized advice for managing your child's weight
The average number of hours kids ages 8 to 18 spend on screen media daily
Kaiser Family Foundation
Hayden M. Pasco, MD
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
What activities can I do with my children to encourage a healthy lifestyle?
Parents should agree what type of lifestyle goals they want to instill in their family while prioritizing their own health needs. Raising healthy kids requires . . .
- Q How should I give my child a time-out?
- Q What are some things I can do to ease my anxiety about becoming a parent?
- Q How much television should I allow my child to watch?
- Q How can I motivate my child?
- Q How do I choose a pediatrician?
- Q How can I tell if my child is being cyberbullied?
- Q Why do parents need to make time for themselves?
- Q What are some different parenting styles?
- Q Can video games cause behavior problems in children?
- Q How can I be a better parent than my own parents were?
Be a Smart Parent
Whether your child is 2 or 12, our action plans can help you be the best parent you can be.
Your Caregiver ER Checklist Top Tips for Newbie Parents 5 Tips for Packing the Perfect School Lunch The Sex Talk -- It Works Learn More: See All Parenting Articles
The Scoop on Baby Poop
Find out the facts about five odd poop colors, plus get tips on when to worry – and when not to.
8 Lessons I Learned About Parenting
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie picked up a few lessons about parenting from her years in the emergency room and shares them here.