Why is my young child so bossy?

Your little tyrant is showing you in no uncertain terms that his budding superego is in a fever-pitch of development. At this age, toddlers are struggling to master their bodies and their environment. They feel a flush of power, since they can now use their words and bodies to control what people do. They really enjoy play-acting, and that’s a wonderful and important part of being three. A three-year-old gets lost in the imaginative process, and we want them to learn from and enjoy play-acting. And they don’t yet feel the pull of what is socially okay. But the tiny superego is blossoming; the internal sense of mommy and daddy, deciding what is right, what is wrong, what is allowed, and what isn’t. The superego is still very primitive at age three; very black and white, “my way or the highway.” It’s really common to see three-year-olds behaving like little tyrants, ordering people around, trying out their new dictatorial tendencies.
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Your young child is bossy as he/she struggles to master his/her body and the environment. He/she feels a flush of power, since he/she can now use his/her words and body to control what people do. 

Young children really enjoy play-acting, get lost in the imaginative process, and they don’t yet feel the pull of what is socially appropriate. The superego is still very primitive at that age, very black and white, “my way or the highway.” It’s really common to see them behaving like little tyrants, ordering people around, trying out their new dictatorial tendencies.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Lunchbox Safety
Lunchbox Safety
When a New York City 4 th grader Zachary Maxwell told his folks he wanted to take his lunch to school, they insisted he stick with the school’s oh-so-...
When getting remarried, how can I help my children accept my fiance?
Hal RunkelHal Runkel
If you're getting remarried and you want your child to warm up to your fiancé, much of that will dep...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Viewers in Dr. Oz’s Social Experiment Explain Their Reactions